Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Alcohol Readings

  I found the readings for Dion, Jason, and Nick's group really interesting. A lot of the facts that are in the article are things that I did not know, and would have never guessed. There were a lot of percentages of college students who drink, and the numbers are so much higher than I would have ever expected.
  I learned that there are a lot of college students who binge drink. One person in class today talked about one possibility as to why so many college students binge drink. They said that it may be because so many college students do not drink in high school because either their parents had real control over them, or it was hard for them to get their hand on alcohol, so now that they are in college, there is alcohol all around them, and their parents are not here to stop them from drinking when they want. They are doing what they have wanted to do since high school, and a lot of students expect college to be about drinking and partying, so that is what they do. This makes complete sense to me because I have seen it happen. There are people who used to drink in high school and go to house parties, so when they came to college, drinking and partying were not as big of a deal. And then I have seen people who were sheltered in high school, and they came to college and it is an entirely different experience because they do not have people to tell them that they cannot do this or that, so they do as much as the can whenever they can.
  This is why I believe all of the facts and statistics that are in the reading that they gave us to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment